Baxter’s mission to save and sustain lives inspires our work and our commitment to deliver products and services that are essential building blocks of healthcare.
Baxter International Inc. (NYSE:BAX), through its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures and markets products that save and sustain the lives of people immune disorders, infectious diseases, kidney disease, trauma, and other chronic and acute medical conditions. As a global, diversified healthcare company, Baxter applies a unique combination of expertise in medical devices, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology to create products that advance patient care worldwide. Baxter had 2012 sales of $14.2 billion and has approximately 50,800 employees around the world.
Baxter Australia & New Zealand facts and figures
- Baxter Healthcare has invested heavily in the Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) region for over 50 years.
- Australian operations commenced in 1963
- Baxter comprises a manufacturing plant in Western Sydney; distribution and warehousing depots in NSW, QLD, VIC, SA, WA and TAS; and aseptic compounding facilities in NSW, QLD, VIC, WA and SA.
- New Zealand operations commenced in 1980
- NZ operations include a head office in Auckland; warehouse and distribution centres in Auckland and Christchurch; and aseptic compounding pharmacies in Auckland and Christchurch.
Click image for an enlarged view.
Science & Innovation
Beginning more than 80 years ago, Baxter has been heavily involved in many medical breakthroughs we take for granted today: intravenous medicine, kidney dialysis and blood component therapy.
- Baxter 'firsts' include:
• The first manufactured IV solution
• The first blood storage system
• The first commercial artificial kidney
• The first needleless IV system
• The first portable dialysis therapy
Baxter’s diverse scientific expertise and world-class capabilities in key technical areas are critical components in advancing patient care globally. Read here how we innovate
- The Hospital Products business is a leading manufacturer of products used in the delivery of fluids and drugs to patients. These include intravenous (IV) solutions and administration sets, premixed drugs and drug-reconstitution systems, pre-filled vials and syringes for injectable drugs, infusion pumps, and inhaled anesthetics, as well as products and services related to drug formulation and enhanced packaging technologies.
- The Renal business unit is a leading manufacturer of products for peritoneal dialysis (PD), a home therapy for people with end-stage renal disease, or irreversible kidney failure. These products include a range of PD solutions and related supplies to help patients safely perform fluid exchanges, as well as automated PD cyclers that perform solution exchanges for patients overnight while they sleep. The business also distributes products (haemodialysis instruments and disposables, including dialyzers) for haemodialysis, a form of dialysis generally conducted several times a week in a hospital or clinic.
- The Pharmacy Services business provides TGA/Medsafe regulated aseptic compounding services for patients in public and private hospital pharmacies and clinics throughout Australia and New Zealand (ANZ). Products include chemotherapy, antibiotics, analgesics parenteral nutrition, and intravenous additives such as operating theatre syringes. Baxter ANZ has approximately 400 pharmacy employees across eight compounding facilities. All of Baxter's facilities are TGA/Medsafe approved and audited.
Learn more about our Global organisation > Click here